Almost checking out....

We have been in Auckland for almost 5 weeks now, with nearly 3 weeks out of managed isolation. We're down to level 2.5 lockdown now too. Considering this, we're making good progress.

Since I last wrote, we've moved hotels again so we are currently in our 4th hotel room. This time, the army commandeered our hotel so that they could take over security at the managed isolation hotels (we think) so we were transferred to a sister hotel in downtown Auckland. Thus, I'm writing this from 40 Beach road - it isn't on the beach but it's very close to everything (but in Auckland, that's not difficult.) The room itself is generally nicer with better wifi and kitchen facilities but it's very dark (3rd floor, surrounded by buildings) so I try to escape for much of the day. We only have 2 sleeps left here though...

Yep - we've found a house to live in! I found it early on in my searching and dragged Jonathan to see it as soon as possible. We were still at level 3 lockdown then but private house viewings were allowed. This was preferable to us anyway as this is the system we are used to. Normally in New Zealand they do "open house" viewings and you are vying against others to get the place which feels very stressful. Anyway, we move in on Friday and our new landlords seem so nice and are even picking us up! It's in Remuera which is about 40 minutes walk from the hospital, 10 minutes walk from the coast and is surrounded by smalllittle parks which they call reserves here. Like the rest of Auckland, it is very hilly but that makes it even more beautiful. It's incredibly quiet and we have a little stream and a bit of wilderness at the end of the garden. Obviously photos will follow once we move in, but here is a map of where we'll be to give you an idea of the area.


The area is lovely to walk around and there are some interesting birds in the parks as well as the usual ducks. It's really noticeable that the birds are far less timid than in the UK and they seem to be full of character, particularly the cheeky sparrows so we aren't missing our feathered friends in Bellamy Street quite as much as we thought.

                       

Jonathan is still finding his feet in the new job as he is very much the "new boy"! However, his boss invited us over for dinner a couple of weekends ago and we had a lovely evening. It's amazing how special having a meal around someone else's house feels after so many months of social distancing.

I'm also making progress on the job-hunting but have nothing substantial to report yet. Let's just say that I have several irons in the fire and I'm hopeful that my portfolio career can continue after all! I will obviously update when I have something concrete.

So with house hunting sorted, I'd expected to be busy sorting out purchasing furniture, towels etc but the place we are renting is fully furnished so I haven't had to do that! Our container has some furniture in it along with the rest of our belongings but it won't arrive until mid October, so finding somewhere fully furnished was such a bonus. We can also swap out anything we don't need which is ideal. So I've been exploring the city and various transport options whilst learning to navigate around this lumpy bumpy beautiful landscape. The bus system seems to work relatively well and for all public transport there is an AT HOP card which is like an "Oyster card" for those of you familiar with the London system. I tried the train yesterday and that is pretty quick but the station nearest us (Orakei) is temporarily out of action so I had to use the replacement bus service! The other train station (Remuera) is a bit of a longer walk but still usable depending on which direction I need to go in. Remuera station is at the base of Mount Hobson, which is already becoming a favourite route for us when walking as the views from this volcano are stunning.

Today I ventured onto a ferry for the first time and went to Devonport. This is a short trip across the bay but Devonport really does feel like a seaside village from the 1950s.

It's been a week of first's too. We had dinner out at Amano's which was delicious and felt a bit weird until we realised it's only the 4th time we've eaten out since March! To our wonder band 7 colleagues at St Georges' - thank you for a truly lovely meal; we did toast you! We also went to the cinema for the first time since pre-Covid and saw Tenet (good film, but need to watch it several times to get all the details I reckon!) And I've discovered a swimming pool and have started swimming again but boy, I'm unfit!
We have become members of the Auckland Canoe Club and with huge thanks to Vicky for the introduction, the kit loan and the photos, we had our inaugural trip with them on Sunday. It was a "short" trip from Okahu bay (near where we will be living) to St Heliers (where we use to live 15 years ago). Despite the slightly unkind wind and unfamiliar kit, it was amazing to be back out on the water. Neither of us had been in a boat since November so we are both very rusty. Vicky and Matt accompanied us and Matt revived us with much appreciated soup on our return. I can't wait for Floyd (my boat) and kit to arrive so that I can really start to enjoy this beautiful coastline. 
                   



I haven't been able to get much sewing done despite not actually having much to do (apart from organising broadband, insurance, energy etc for the new place.) There isn't much light where we're staying so I'm putting it down to that. However, once we move, I'm sure I'll get my sewing mojo back. I'm relying on hand sewing for now but my new landlady has offered to lend me her sewing machine! I started hand-sewing a quilt when we lived in Sydney 16 years ago though and I really need to get around to finishing that first. I have found several sewing shops though, by accident. One of them is in Remuera! 


With the Craftsy platform back up and running, I've also started watching other classes and have decided to go back to basics with some knitting in the meantime. A jumper I was making didn't make it into the hold luggage which was a big regret so today I splashed out on a circular needle and a ball of wool. With the chillier days lately, I'd had to buy a scarf and hat but now I can make my own. I will post results here. Quilting and knitting are popular here so I don't have to worry about supplies, but my bank balance might!


So, in summary, house-hunting, job hunting, outdoor walking, kayaking, sewing shops and knitting. Oh, and I've got a new phone and phone number too. WhatsApp should still keep working on the old UK number for now, but ping me a message if you want our new address and phone number.

Next time... our new home.


Comments

  1. It’s been a couple of weeks since I last left a message on JBs page and I can’t believe you have done so much already. How are you doing? How’s your foot? Sounds like there’s lots of walking, hope you’re having a good rest too!! Happy move in day for yesterday, it’s great to finally find a place to call your home, even just for now. What’s it like where you are? You say it’s very hilly and beautiful and your photos looks lovely too. I was wondering how long it’ll take you to get back into the water lol glad you’ve found a canoe club. I’m sure there’ll be lots of photos to come ;) That 16 year old quilt is quite something, I wonder how much of your style or taste has changed now that you've picked it back up again, so you think you’ll keep with the pattern style? A few of us at work was talking the other day and both of you pipped up in the convo, you’re both still very missed on the unit. I’d love to stay in touch. Hope you’re both settling in well in your new home and I’m looking forward to reading your new blog xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Australian story - so far.....

BIG news!

A New Beginning