Living in Limbo: Part 2

 I've realised that it's 6 weeks since I last wrote this blog and you may have been wondering what we've been up to. Thinking of a title wasn't difficult because in so many ways we have both felt like we have been living in limbo again. This time it's not due to managed isolation or COVID-19 but because moving to a new country takes a patience and a lot of red tape-crossing.

We're doing ok and I feel guilty even having a little moan about feeling in limbo when we know what our families and friends are putting up with in Lockdown Part 2 in the UK and elsewhere. Believe me, we think of you daily and so wish you could experience the liberties we have here. Anyway, I reckon you probably clicked onto this blog for a rest from the thought of the pandemic, so I will try to avoid any talk of viruses!

Our first hiccup was when we awoke one morning to find diggers in the property next to us. After living next door to hideous building noise for more than 10 months (including over lockdown) this was not what we were looking for.

Our "lost wilderness" view

So much for serene tranquility - the whole reason we moved into this property! After initial courteous discussions with our landlords, they became a lot less easy and it has taken us 5 weeks to negotiate getting out of our 12 month rental contract. This means that we will be back house hunting in January with an aim to move at the beginning of February. The timing is not ideal but was to fit in with the landlords. We're hoping that most of the building noise will go on hold for part of December and all of January because apparently nothing happens here due to the holidays!

Our container of our belongings is almost here - but not quite. It has finally made it to Auckland and been passed by customs so we're now just waiting for the shipping company to arrange the removal. Once our stuff arrives we're planning to only unpack what we need for now to make the move in 2 months a bit easier. However, we're not quite sure what is in which box, so I'm guessing there will be a few unneeded box openings. It feels ridiculously exciting though to be reunited with your belongings. I can't believe how much both of us have wished for more of our own clothes if nothing else! We came with two holdalls each and have purchased a few essentials (socks in my case!) but have transitioned from summer in the UK to winter here and now summer-ish on the same clothes. We also brought everything else essential such as the paperwork of life including certificates of everything (birth, qualifications, etc) so there wasn't a lot of room for anything else. I'm particularly excited about getting my kayak and kayaking kit so that I can really start to enjoy the paddling here. So limbo state of nearly having stuff but not quite and not being able to unpack all of it for a while.

I have a new job - almost! I will be starting as a Professional Teaching Fellow (i.e. lecturer) teaching physical assessment and clinical decision making to post graduate nurses, so similar to what I was doing in the UK. This is at the University of Auckland so for the first time ever I will actually be teaching in a university rather than a site allied to the university. It is opposite the hospital though so not far from reality. It is a part time job (3 days per week) which is ideal so that I can do a clinical job on the other days. I've decided to get settled in this job first before I look for anything clinical as it seems to be not what you know but who you know that works best out here. It also means I get to enjoy the summer! I'm still getting through the red tape and think I'm starting in a couple of weeks but am not sure yet.... more limbo status!

In the meantime, I've been working for Philips training staff on monitoring equipment. This has mostly been in Christchurch where the brand new hospital opened up this week. I have spent a lot of hours on the ICU including helping on moving day so it felt great to be back in my area of comfort. The staff have been incredibly great to work with and the task of moving a whole unit to a new building 1 kilometre along corridors was made so much easier because of this. For those of you who know "Major Jay" at St Georges - he'd have been proud of the organisation and teamwork. They finished the move a whole hour before they planned to! So this week has been long hours but it's been good to feel useful.

A couple of weeks ago I made it down to Dunedin (lower down the south island) for work which turns out to be a really nice place. I didn't get to spend much time there though but I'd love to go back. The next day I was in Oamaru which was fantastic though. It's a tiny place where the hospital has 20 beds plus 6 for emergencies/resus. It has grand architecture in the main street and a steam punk museum! It also has penguins - a lot of penguins!!! I spent an amazing evening watching 264 little blue penguins (yes, that's what they are really called) landing precariously in the surf and waddling up the cliff/beach to their nests in the sanctuary. I then nearly fell over a further 10 whilst walking back to my hotel in the dark as they decided to nest just outside the harbour. These penguins are the smallest breed measuring 30 centimetres (or 12 inches in old money.) When dry, they are electric blue and truly beautiful. 

Even electrical cable boxes are considered open for artwork in NZ!

Jonathan managed to score a trip to the south island for a research meeting in Christchurch and so we both spent a long weekend together there. We worked out it was our first break away together since January (we didn't think managed isolation counted as a break:) and it was really lovely to have some down time. There is a lot to be said for Christchurch so I think I'll save that to the next blog as I've been collecting photos over the past few weeks.

Prior to the new hospital opening in Christchurch I was sent up to an anaesthetic conference in Paihia, in the Bay of Islands. For any of you who have visited this area you will know how beautiful it is and I felt truly lucky to score a trip there for work. It's also considered the birthplace of modern New Zealand as this is where the Treaty of Waitangi was signed. 

Treaty grounds of Waitangi

Running workshops there wasn't too arduous but it was good to feel as if I was actually doing something useful but the breaks by the beach were awesome. Their guest speaker was Richie Barnett (ex-rugby international) who gave a great talk on resilience. Having spent 6 weeks in ICU with a wired jaw and reconstructed face due to a head collision, he knew what he was talking about. We had a lovely evening cruise to a "barbecue" at a "pub" both of which were misnomers as the barbecue was a buffet meal and the pub was far grander than expected. However the sunset was probably one of the best I've ever seen and totally stole the show. 

 


Paihia, Bay of Islands

I'm back in Christchurch tomorrow for the final departmental move - post op recovery and then we'll see how the land lies. Philips has been an interesting company to work for and something I had never envisaged but I've actually rather enjoyed it. I won't miss living out of a suitcase though, but it's been easier when nearly everything I have here is in that suitcase anyway!

We have had a great weekend with sunshine, entertainment and progress though. On Friday night we went to a live gig with Amanda Palmer in Auckland. Jonathan is a particular fan but I have to admit that this was a very good night out. She played either eukalele or piano and sang her fabulously anarchic songs and it felt like a very special night in a church venue (superb accoustics.) She's an american and was on tour when she got stranded here. There are definitely worse places! 


Yesterday we went to an e-bike exhibition which was fortuitous as I was planning to go around bike shops anyway (I only saw the poster for it on Friday night.) Anyway, I went back today and have bought an electric bike so that I can commute and also do some touring. Sam (nephew) and Ruth (nursing mate & one of my first proper students!) - you were right - I've bought a Specialized bike! I will pick it up next Saturday (so only a week of limbo for this, but I've been planning to buy one since I got here!)

On the foot front, my new left foot is holding up after the bunion op in January but I've really pounded the streets ever since we got here, so it plays up occasionally. The bike will really help and our car is (you guessed it) almost here too.

I've managed to catch up with some friends and hopefully will be able to be more sociable when I have my own form of transport and am actually in Auckland for long enough!

So farewell for now from limbo-land and hopefully I will have our belongings, our car, my new bike, my kayak and my new job when I write next! Please keep in touch by email, WhatsApp, Facebook, post or by this blog. I genuinely love hearing from you so thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Australian story - so far.....

BIG news!

A New Beginning