Living in shorts

 I've been meaning to update this blog for a while but it's only when I logged in that I realised that my last post was back in October! Thus, I have a bit of catching up to do! PS apologies in advance for the photo placements - the software is not playing the game today!

View from our house (yes, that's the sea & Rangitoto island!)

 

Firstly - we're not in lockdown any more! (Just in case you were wondering.) We moved from the "levels" to "traffic light" system in December, although I did get to travel to Wellington with special permission to deliver some training before that happened. The official "opening of borders" within NZ happened on 15th December, which just happened to be when we'd arranged a barbecue for my uni team! This time, (only our 2nd BBQ here) we managed not to run out of gas and it didn't rain, so much better than the first attempt.

Sewing

Sewing kept me sane in lockdown with everything from dresses to jackets. I'm currently working on rashies (rash vests for kayaking) and blouses for work. Having brought over my large stash, I'm very very lucky to have such and absorbing hobby!


 

 

 

 

Cycling

The new bike - no nickname yet, suggestions welcome!
After much debating, I invested in a new e-bike. My previous specialized bike didn't have the oomph or the battery power of Jonathan's Riese & Muller so I decided to sell the old one and get a new one. They don't have ebay here, but TradeMe - and I got almost the original sale price for my one year old bike. As we're at the end of the world here, some things are much more expensive and harder to get. Bicycles and in particular, ebikes are in this category but particularly since Covid where getting out and about to exercise in such hilly terrain is a bit trickier. Anyhow, here's the new bike (no where near as flash looking as the old one, but so much better!)


It's hard to do a selfie when you're peddling!
It's now February as I'm writing this and I've been trying (but failing) to get out on the bike more as part of Bike Aotearoa - a month long challenge in NZ. It started off well, but then the crazy wind and work got in the way. However, Rachel and I managed to sneak in an indoor session on 2 consecutive days when we were working in Tauranga last week. 

Christmas happened and for the second year in a row, neither of us were working! We spent Christmas eve at our friend Sylvia's (well I did, Jonathan came after work) where we had a traditional German Christmas which was lovely. On Christmas day itself, I felt I had to finally brave our local waters having not actually been for a swim in the sea locally! It was actually really warm and so close to home (10 minutes walk). I knew the sea was relatively warm as I'd been practicing (and succeeding) rolling my kayak in the sea just before Christmas. Here's proof (I didn't manage to persuade Jonathan.) 


  
Post swim at Judges bay (Port in the background)















 Kayaking & more weather

Kayaking plans have gone a bit array but it's not for lack of trying. I've managed to make it to some kayak rolling practice sessions on the north shore and am pleased to say I can still roll my kayak. We had hoped to paddle between Christmas and New Year but it was too windy. So I then tried to arrange paddling on several occasions and had the same problem. Rain is fine, but wind and swell make paddling less enjoyable! I should be in Hahei now kayaking but Cyclone Davi had other plans:


So camping and kayaking off the Coromandel peninsula for 4 days as was cancelled. Initially it was going to be the KASK (Kiwi Assn of Sea Kayakers) festival but this had been postponed because of the Red traffic light (no gatherings of 100 + people.) 

A couple of weeks ago, the east coast was feisty so I joined a fellow Auckland Canoe club kayaker, Kevin, in exploring the Manukau harbour. I'd never been to this harbour on the west side, but then, neither had he and he's lived here all his life! It turns out to be a very shallow bay with a feisty bar at the entrance. We were nowhere near this but did discover that the relatively minimal tidal range here still made a difference. After lunch, we had to wade out in mud for a considerable distance before we could paddle. I managed to move forward with my boat and my body but not my feet at one point.  A full face plant in the mud followed, after which everything ached from hysterical laughter for some time after! 

Paddling on Manukau harbour with birdlife

Muddy re-entry post lunch
 

We've managed some other water adventures too. I bought Jonathan a "boogie board" for his birthday and persuaded him to try body boarding along with some friends. So, here is proof that not only is he still alive, but he can actually smile on camera! 

Birthday boy

Daily life

So, we're awaiting the onslaught of Omnicron in a country with a very high vaccination rate. It's been very slow in coming but today (13th Feb) we have a jump up to 810 new community cases. So far, there have been very few hospital admissions but everyone is expecting the worst but hoping for the best. Having been in London for the beginning, I know it will be nowhere near as bad. I did get pinged for the first time at the end of January. I'd been at the airport so had to get tested and isolate. However, you only have to isolate for 10 days after exposure and I wasn't notified until 9 days so 24 hours wasn't a problem. We're still allowed to teach in person, but only with social distancing, face masks and very close screening. We have also moderated what we teach to avoid, for example throat and nose examinations (I teach physical assessment.) I'm hoping not to get pinged again before either teaching or having a holiday in the next few weeks.

We get out for regular walks and I go for swims too in the local open air pool. 

Parnell Baths - my local swimming pool. It's salt water.

It's very warm and humid, so I'm living in shorts when I'm not teaching. It's usually 26'C and muggy with occasional rain. I can't remember the last time I put a fleece on!

There is an art festival going on with the Whale Tail Trail. These sculptures are all over Auckland but here a few to finish off this blog. So, au revoir for now, stay safe and keep in touch!













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Australian story - so far.....

BIG news!

A New Beginning